Friday, November 5, 2010
Two Men and a Truck Inform the Public About Warning Signs of Bad Moving Companies
Daniel says, “All of our drivers and movers are full time employees of our company. We have an extensive training program for them to go through and we do criminal background checks and drug screening. Beware of other companies that may use temporary and contract laborers to provide their services.”
The TX DMV is the regulatory board for the moving industry and they simply do not have the resources to monitor and pursue the companies that are running without proper authority and credentials.
It is the consumer’s responsibility to research their moving company and the following is a recommended list to check out.
1. Make sure that the company is registered with the TX DMV for a local move and with the US DOT for an interstate move.
2. Check the company out with the BBB to make sure they have a satisfactory rating and look at the number of filed complaints.
3. Ask your friends and family who they have used in the past and try to get some references.
4. Make sure that the company that you are hiring has a physical office address and is not operating out of their home.
5. Check with the company that you are hiring and make sure that they are not using contract labor for services and that they are insured and bonded.
6. Be very careful if you are hiring a company off of the internet as they may only be a broker and will sell the job off to a moving company that you will not know anything about.
Home owners and business owners alike are encouraged to thoroughly check out a moving company before allowing them to touch their belongings. This can save them costly mistakes, delays and damage.
Another great educational source is from the Greater Houston Movers Association in Houston which will advise you on things to check out. http://www.ghmahouston.org/consumer-education.html
Two Men and a Truck can be contacted at 713-278-1112, fax 713-278-1138 or online at 17400 NW Freeway, Houston, TX 77040.http://www.twomenandatruck.com/